This fountain completed in 1867 and located on Sturt St was named after the explorers Robert O'Hara Burke and William John Wills (who grew up in Ballarat). In 1860-61, they led an expedition of 18 men with the purpose of crossing Australia from Melbourne to the Gulf of Carpentaria in the North (2,800 kms). Unfortunately the return journey ended in tragedy and only one member of the expedition, John King, returned to Melbourne alive.
185 Empty Chairs Earthquake Memorial
2 hours ago